Observations from my first two weeks (not guaranteed scientifically sound):
- In Minnesota, it seems to be common to throw together a small bonfire when inviting people over for a party. Also, people (well, okay, mathematicians) here appear to spontaneously bring board games to get-togethers.
- The streets here (even minor side-streets) are very, very wide.
- Most Twin Cities drivers give bikes lots of space (this is perhaps related to the previous point). Some are under the misconception that bicycles are required to ride on the sidewalk. Some of these also believe it’s appropriate to yell this at bicyclists from their cars.
- “Ski-U-Mah!” appears to be Minnesotan for “Go Blue!”
- College students are the same everywhere.