Question: has the last year been unusually embarrassing for the NYC Police Department, or do they typically manage this many negative headlines in a 12-month period? A short list, not intended to be complete:
- the pepper spraying of nonviolent protestors,
- a major ticket-fixing scandal, made even more awesome by historically illiterate cops protesting the resulting arrests by waving signs that read “just following orders”,
- widespread racist postings on Facebook,
- the use of a bizarre anti-Muslim video in training materials, made more awesome by Ray Kelly lying about whether he knowingly took part in it,
- the appallingly bad legal defense of the atrocious Stop and Frisk program,
- and most recently, cops cheering on the killer of an unarmed teenager as he entered court.
Update: I guess one can add the routine manipulation of crime statistics to the list, as well. This has been on slow-burn for a while, at least since the amazing Village Voice series in 2010; it’ll be interesting to see whether it blows up more seriously.