We got a whole bunch of basil on Thursday, so tonight we made pesto with pasta. A quick glance around the internet and our cookbooks suggests that all pesto recipes are the same, but no two are actually identical. Here was ours:
- Toast 1/4 cup of walnuts on the stove.
- In a food processor, blend
- the walnuts,
- 1 packed cup basil (stems removed),
- 1/4 cup parsley,
- 2 cloves garlic,
- a little lemon juice, and
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Stir in 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese.
- The result wasn’t quite wet enough, so we added a bit of pasta water to thin it out.
- D decided we should have a spicy pesto, so there was salt, cayenne and black pepper to taste.
The result was very tasty! We served it with cherry tomatoes and the same carrots we ate with macaroni and cheese.
My parents were in town Thursday and Friday; they had been berry-picking the day before and my father had made a blueberry pie, which they brought. We got to keep the leftovers.